Blizzard’s Timeline of History. A 20th Anniversary Celebration.
To celebrate Blizzard’s 20th anniversary, they put up a time line of the history of their company on their official website. Here are some of the highlights.
- The time line starts in 1991, when Blizzard was still called Silicon and Synapse, which was founded that year.
- They won their first award from a game magazine in 1993, and was also renamed to Chaos Studios. The company was bought by Davidson and Associates in 1994, and was then renamed to Blizzard Entertainment. It was also in 1994 that they released Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, the first game of their would-be hit franchise. They released a number of other games that year as well.
- In 1995 they moved to a bigger campus in Irvine, California, and launched Blizzard.com for the first time. The following year they released Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness, and its expansion Beyond the Dark Portal. They also released Diablo that year, which was their first game that can be played over Battle.net.
- They released Starcraft in 1998, as well as its expansion Brood War. Starcraft: Brood War becomes the most popular game ever in South Korea the following year.
- Diablo 2 was released in 2000, and its expansion Lord of Destruction was released in 2001. In 2002 Warcraft 3 was released, and its expansion The Frozen Throne came out in 2003.
- Blizzard opens its first offices in Europe and South Korea in 2004, and also released the most popular massively multiplayer online role playing game ever, World of Warcraft. The game was released in other parts of the world aside from North America, Australia, and New Zealand in 2005, and Blizzard held their first ever Blizzcon in Anaheim, California.
- World of Warcraft’s first expansion, The Burning Crusade, was released in 2007, and the development of Starcraft 2 was announced. World of Warcraft expansion Wrath of the Lich King was then released in 2008.
- 2010 was the release of Starcraft 2 and World of Warcraft’s Cataclysm expansion, nd Battle.net was upgraded.
- And finally, in 2012 Diablo 3 was released.
- Check it out.
- blizzards timeline