When is Diablo 3 Coming Out?
“When is diablo 3 coming out?’ That’s the question on every avid gamer’s lips even as Blizzard has continued its stance of not giving any specific release date. Instead the simple reply to most such questions has been a rather stale, “When it’s done”.
Update: May 15/2012
Now this is as specific as Blizzard has ever been previously. The release dates of Diablo 3 are more often than not the guesswork of media sources and that too specifically by software merchants. In terms of authority, these dates have none and are created with the sole purpose of inciting interest/excitement.
Usually, people from the gaming media industry arrive at a figure by taking cues from the percentage of a game that has been fully developed.
….But such estimates of completed percentage are not encouraged by Blizzard’s development teams as there are no valid and accepted methods to quantify that information with a game’s release date.
In fact, many years of work went into the development of the basics of Diablo 3. This includes work on the game’s engine, trying out numerous different types of art and design, coming up with character and plot concepts etc.
Further, the hardware and other basic work takes as long or even longer than fusing the content, which makes it unreal to narrow down on an overall completion percentage.
Responding to questions of “when is diablo 3 coming out?” when it was first announced in 2008, Blizzard said it was well on its way in working on the content by the time of the announcement. This meant that the game engine and in-game functions were all ready and had been put through testing. However, production of content is such a massive area of work in Blizzard’s scheme of things that game-watchers with years of experience behind them announced the final release would take atleast a few years if not more. And looking back, it indeed has.
Moments when the question “when is diablo 3 coming out” Was Almost Answered
- November 2009 – It was announced in Blizzard’s shareholder conference that the game is set for release in the next few years
- November 2009 – In an interview with Techland, Rob Pardo had said,” I think it’s safe to say that, yes, (Diablo 3) is not going to be released next year.”
- February 2011 – Kotaku asked Rob Pardo as to when is diablo 3 coming out and he replied, “We really do hope so this year. That’s what we are aiming for. We want to get there soon. But, you know, our main aim is to get it right. We want to make it awesome”.
- June 2011 – In an interview with Inside Korea, Paul Sams let loose that since the game was releasing in 2012, testing would commence in Q3.
- September 2011 – A technical glitch almost put an end to the question of “when is diablo 3 coming out?” when Blizzard’s website gave fans a premature and unintended look at the statement that was about to be published by its president Mike Morhaime saying that the game would be released in early 2012.
- Update: May 15/2012
- diablo 3 wiki
- diablo 3 wikipedia